Thursday 17 March 2011

Traditional Japanese Tea Ceremony

Leanne was very excited this morning. Possibly the apex of our trip so far. The owners of Mume had booked us in for a Japanese Tea Ceremony on the top floor of the Hosomi Museum, where they have a traditional roof terrace tea house. Just the 2 of us, and a traditional tea host.

The ceremony was booked for 11, and we arrived early as we couldn't face being late for such a traditional event. Not like us hey! When we arrived we were shown around the museum, and then just before 11 called up to the tea house.

We had to take our shoes off to enter, and walked along the terrace to the tea house. We were greeted by the host of the tea ceremony, dressed in a kimono, and who, much to our delight, spoke very good english. The staff at Hotel Mume never let us down!

We walked into the tea house and sat down on the floor. We were given a Japanese sweet to start with which was in tune with the season, and designed to cleanse our palette. Then the host explained the items in the room, and what they were used for. It was very minimalistic, and she explained that it took a lot of influence from Zen minimalism.

There was a large tea pot, placed on hot coals at the centre of the room. You could see small amounts of steam escaping at the side, but again very slow and controlled.

The host herself was extremely quaint and elegant, with the most amazing posture. Everything she did, every way she moved, was effortless. The way she was able to stand on her feet from kneeling on the ground, whilst holding several bowls, was amazing.

To start the ceremony, the host walked out to a room at the side of the main floor, and brought back several bowls, spoons, cloths, a bamboo whisk, and of course, the green tea powder.


She first explained how to make the tea, the measurements and the whole process. After that, she began to wash all of the bowls and spoons, which she said was to cleanse the items. While doing so, she did some amazing things with the cloths, that we can only liken to oragami... folding the cloths with one hand and catching it mid air with the other. So amazing, in a really elegant way!

And then, it was over to us! I would make Leanne a bowl of tea, and then Leanne for me. Even though it was only the 3 of us in the house, the nerves were going as it all felt so formal and traditional.

So, I was up first and over to sit in front of the stove. The host added the green tea and boiling water, and them handed me the bamboo whisk. She told me to whisk back and forth, and literally started laughing when I started. I didn't really have nack, but then it was Leanne who had to drink my gift to her! So, it was on to my feet with the bowl in my right hand. Then over to Leanne, and 2 turns of the bowl with my left hand - to make sure the most beautiful side was facing Leanne. I then presented it to Leanne, who then had to turn it 2 times back to face me.

Leanne then had to say in Japanese "excuse me for going first" and then a bow and a thank you to me! She seemed happy with my tea making skills.

Then it was over to Leanne to return the favour. She was clearly much better with the whisk, and prepared me an amazing cup of tea. A lot smoother than my attempt and it was very refreshing. The tea had a subtle bitterness to it, and It felt like it was very good for me!


The host then completed the ceremony by cleansing everything that was used, and washing the bowls with the boiling water.

The ceremony itself must have lasted about 30 minutes, and was so simple and peaceful. Easily Leanne's favourite part of the trip so far...

No comments:

Post a Comment